Friday, May 02, 2008

It was just a small anaphylactic reaction...

Ok - so apparently my swollen lips were no laughing matter. Yesterday morning after I wrote the blog, I ate breakfast and took my 2nd dose of my new antibiotic. Truthfully, I thought the lip puffiness was from the codeine but I was wrong.

About an hour after taking the antibiotic (avelox for those of you in pharmacology), I became a bit disoriented and my tongue started to swell as well. When I realized I was talking out of my head and a bit like Sylvester the cat, I called my doctor. She wasn't in but her office manager said "GET TO THE ER RIGHT AWAY"...

Uh...ok...oh shit.

Fortunately, I work literally ACROSS THE STREET from the hospital. I couldn't walk there because I basically couldn't walk a straight line so one of my co-workers dropped me off at the emergency entrance. Just a note - ER rooms FREAK when you're having an anaphylactic reaction. My wait time was non-existant as they took me into the back pretty quickly and had the doc there right away.

I got a nice coctail of benedryl, prevacid (who would have thought), steroids and an IV for about four hours. That knocked me out and when I woke up, the swelling had gone down. So, they let me go home.

Now I have yet ANOTHER new antibiotic and more anti-histimine and allergen meds than I know what to do with. Just another fun day for me. (Oh and by the way, I passed on the additional steroids because they make you hungry. That's the LAST thing I need right now)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you poor thing!!! i have to say though, just because this is ironic.. the verification word for me to type below is "druqe". weird. i'm glad you're o.k.!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad you're ok!

Jana said...

Oh my goodness! That's so scary. I am so glad you are ok.

Anonymous said...

oh, no, girl! let me know if you need anything.

Terri Davenport said...

Oh, how scary! Glad you're okay!

Margot Potter said...

Firstly THANK GOD YOU'RE OKAY! HOLY MOLEY!

I had one anaphylactic reaction and I had no clue what has going on. Thankfully it didn't get so bad I died, because I did nothing!

I hate steroids...refuse to take 'em for my asthma other than the inhaled ones. Still they've made me fat, and it's awful.

I keep an Epipen in my purse 24/7, just to be safe.

Get better! Hope I get to see you next week!

xoxo
Margot