Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ever had that assignment...

That really has you on edge? One that you just have to make sure is perfect? I just got that assignment two days ago and finished the project for it, and I actually feel like I accomplished what I wanted to. It wasn't for work or anything. It was for Scott. He had called me and asked me to make a card for someone he works with. She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and so she's going through treatment and is trying to work, even though she's taking chemo. Scott and his co-workers really wanted to show her that they are supportive of her and thinking about her all the time. (He even talked of shaving his head to show his support since she has since lost her hair)

I wanted the card to be perfect. I knew a lot of people would be signing it and it wasn't just "a card". It needed to be special. I was talking with the girls in the office and our office manager said "Why don't you make bricks or something?". That got me to thinking and this is what I came up with:



Everyone can sign a "brick" on the card- her "Foundation of Hope" so to speak. It looks really REALLY plain (and it is) but I think it conveys the message. I used the Gin-X jumbles, turned them over, inked the edges and laid the "bricks" out. I also made little ribbons out of our cotton art tape.

I am still waiting to hear from Scott what they thought about it. I hope that it comes across as I intended. I just feel for her. I've had a lot of experience with people around me that I love battling this disease and I am so glad she has a support system. But, nobody should really ever have to deal with this.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Ginger what a beautiful card, and what a awesome thing to do

Anonymous said...

Great card. I love it. I love the idea behind the brick and everyone signing a brick. What's even more awesome is that Scott wanted you to do this...that is so very sweet.
Great work- as always.
xo
T.

Unknown said...

that is a super awesome card!! What a great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

So very cool Ginger! Love the concept behind the card...assignment passed with flying colors! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow-it's prefect G.

Anonymous said...

Ginger,

The card is beautiful...I think the message that they are trying to send to her is so profound!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

What an awesome gift of support!! Love the card G!!!!

Angie said...

I love the idea and it turned out gorgeous!!!

I would have put the foundation on the bottom, though. :D

Anonymous said...

Ginger - I love your card - I think it is perfect! Jill

Anonymous said...

Fent - Awesome lol